Spearheaded by soup kitchen volunteer Nancy Robert, the free store quickly expanded from a small spot in the basement to a classroom filled with clothes racks and tables, and myriad other items. The boutique is open on Monday and Wednesday.
Much of the inventory is new, and some is gently used. Over the winter, the boutique provided coats, boots, hats, scarves and gloves to soup kitchen guests in desperate need. Others have been outfitted with a set of new clothes to help them look sharp for job interviews.
Two barber chairs occupy one corner of the boutique that is now dubbed, West Side Salon, where guests can get haircuts from 12 to 1 on the first Monday of the month, thanks to Linda Perrymen and Debbie Moorhead, owners of Hair Solutions in Yorkville.
Nancy also coordinates health screenings, provided from noon to 1 on the second Thursday of the month by Dr. Mark Warfel, director of the Mohawk Valley Health System’s St. Elizabeth Family Medicine Residency Program, and doctors training to become family practitioners.
West Side Boutique Album
Interested in volunteering?
Lynda Briggs, Remsen
Tracey Pietruszka, Remsen
Tony George, Cold Brook
Carol Santucci, Utica
Patricia McCraith, Clinton
Chris Indivero, Clinton
Rhett Allen, Clinton
Joan Donley, Canastota
Margaret Potocki, Whitesboro
Kim Depastene, Utica
Vicky Riordan, Utica
Julie Crandal, Utica
- Distributing Needed Items Despite Pandemic
- Boutique Has Valintine Wish List
- Students Volunteer Behind Scene
- Holiday Wish List: Toiletries, Boots
- Boutique Seeks Bedding for Those in Need
- Boutique Reopens, Provides Shoes/Clothes
- Boutique to Reopen, Thanks to Volunteers
- Boxer Shorts and Jeans Needed
- Boutique Seek Sneakers for Those in Need
- Boutique Busy During Pandemic
- Boutique Serves 144, Closes
- Boutique Helps 172 with Clothes
- Santa Visits to Squeals of Kids
- Christmas Wish List
- Docs Hope to Thwart ‘Silent Killers’
- Bike Racks for Volunteers, Guests
- Zoo Comes to Children
- A Culture of Giving Back
- These Volunteers Love the Work
- Clothes, Toiletries for Guests